You’ll find the touristic information about the region of Yamato. Sakurai City is a launching point for a journey through this area.
Sakurai, the city beloved in the heart of the Japanese.
The city of SAKURAI is located at 135"51' longitude East and 34"31' latitude North.
Its width is 11.9km(East-West),its length is 16.4km(North-South), and it has a surface area of 98.92km2, 60% of which are mountains.
This city has a long history. It was first developed as a political, economic and cultural center.
This rich history can be seen from the remains of palaces and ancient civilization, and by burial mounds dating from between the 2nd and 6th centuries scattered all around the city.
In the middle ages, SAKURAI was a borough of shinto shrines and Buddhist temples, where numerous cultural and trading activities took place.
Later, it was used as a stop-over by travelers and it is now known as the city of the temples.
The specialities of the city, known all over Japan, are wood and Somen (Japanese vermicelli).
The landscape is beautiful throughout the year.
In spring, the plains and mountains are covered with flowers and greenery, with cherry blossoms and with spring dew which blurs the lines of Mt.Miwa.
The garden of the Hase-dera temple is covered with peonies.
In summer, one can feel the freshness of the rivers.
In autumn, the colors of mandarin oranges and persimmons can be seen near Yamanobe.
The Tanzan shinto shrine is covered with splendid red autumn leaves.
As winter comes, the mountains, rivers, shrines and temples become covered with a light layer of snow.
The landscape of every season brings tranquility and calm in surroundings embellished with historical monuments and other proofs of the traditional cultural heritage.
Sakurai City, famous for its wood products, is nestled in the mountains of Nara Prefecture. Traditional Japanese items such as Sake, Miwa-SOMEN (Japanese vermicelli), and Izumo dolls are produced here, as well as modern sporting goods.
The city has been the inspiration for many MANYO poems (Ancient Japanese poems). Interest in MANYO has brought an increase in the tourism industry.
We take great pride in our elaborately produced goods; always respectful of our natural resources and our beautiful city.
TOURIST INFORMATION CENTER (TIC)
- Tokyo Office TEL.03-3201-3331
- NARITA Int'l Airport Office TEL.0476-30-3383 TEL.0476-34-5877
- KANSAI Int'l Airport Information Center TEL.0724-56-6025
NARA TOURIST INFORMATION
- J.R. Nara Station TEL.0742-22-9821
- Kintetsu Nara Station TEL.0742-24-4858
- Nara City Tourist Center TEL.0742-22-3900
- Sarusawa Information TEL.0742-26-1991
- Ikaruga-cho Information Center TEL.0745-74-6800
Sakurai City Hall
- (Oodono 432-1 Sakurai City Nara Prefecture) TEL.0744-42-9111
- (Commerce and Tourism Division) (ex.341)
Sakurai Citizen Hall
Municipal Buried Cultural Assets Center
Sakurai Fire Station (fire and first aid)
The First Aid Clinic on weekends
(JR Sakurai, Miwa, Makimuku / Kintetsu Sakurai, Daifuku, Asakura, Hasedera)
- JR Sakurai Station TEL.0744-42-2806
- Kintetsu Sakurai Station TEL.0744-42-3077
BUS (Sakurai Station)
- Nara Kotsu Kashihara Business Office TEL.0744-24-8545
TAXI (Sakurai Station, Hasedera Station, Miwa Station)
- Kintetsu Taxi Sakurai Business Office. TEL.0744-42-2070
BICYCLE RENTAL (Sakurai Station)
- Kintetsu Rent Cycle TEL.0744-43-2828
MAP FOR DAILY LIFE
SAKURAI PR MOVIE
Click the following and you watch the movie by "Youtube".